To hear what is happening in Queensland's Burdekin region, tune your radio to Radio 97.1 Sweet FM broadcasting since 28th September 1999, 24 hours a day, seven days a week via a transmitter on Mt. Inkerman and from the studio in the Home Hill Court House Building, 134-136 Eighth Avenue, Home Hill, Queensland Australia.
The station is manned by a dedicated band of volunteers with each volunteer choosing the music they wish to present on their program, and staying within the bounds of the "Tourist Radio" Policy. The ratio of music to talk is 80/20.
The volunteers pride themselves on their dedication throughout natural disasters and during Cyclones Anthony and Yasi in 2011, and more recently Debbie in 2017. Sweet FM was able to stay live to air keeping listeners up to date with the very latest information as it came to hand.
Horse raceing in Home Hill 1906 held on Melbourne Cup Day
The staff of the Delta Advocate in the 1950s. Can you find Sid Anderson, Allan Scott, Dan O'Connell, Ted Chatfield, Gordon Rennie, Arthur Durrant, Kathy Hansen, Gorge Furby, Joyce O'Brien and Joan Boylan.
Peter Tsaousis behind the counter at The Three Graces Cafe in Ayr. Join Glenis Cislowski each Monday morning at 10 to hear a different story each week about our district's past
The first car crossing the Burdekin RIver. This was in 1911, long before any bridges were built.
Tom Lace was a Greengrocer who delivered to your door.
Cobb & Co routes through North Queensland. Cobb & Co never came through the Burdekin district.
An early Royal Mail Coach in the district. Join Glenis Cislowski each Monday morning at 10 to hear a different story each week about our district's past.
A Hearson incubator, similar to the incubator mentioned in the Glenis Cislowski's story about a failed poultry raising venture at Rita Island in the late 1890s.
The crew of a Japanese Sampan at Cape Upstart in 1936
Airacobra in the Burdekin River 1942
Lockheed Lightning at Mosquito Creek, now known as Morris's 1943
Stringing Tobacco on Dearness Road Mona Park
Cyclone Connie stuck in 1959. Studio B, Home Hill News and Bluey's Thrift Shop now occupy this block. The house to the right was relocated to Groper Creek
Cyclone Connie stuck in 1959. This is some of the damage left behind. Commercial Hotel, Eighth Avenue, Home Hill
The Ayr Bowls Club circa 1930. Men played bowls and ladies played croquet.
Delta Furniture & Joinery Works has been in the same family for over 80 years
Remnants of the tramline which linked Airdmillan and Kalamia Sugar MIlls to the Plantation Creek Wharf. The above photo is near Kilrie Road.
Remnants of the tramline which linked Airdmillan and Kalamia Sugar MIlls to the Plantation Creek Wharf. The above photo is near Plantation Creek.
Photo credit Glenis Cislowski 2014
The Betteridge family 1930s Cape Upstart.
George, Ivy, Doreen, Shirley and Jean
The original traffic bridge across the Burdekin River built in 1929/30
Eugene (Blue) L'Huillier was a pilot during WWII. In 1951, he was part of a crew whose mission was to fly a Catalina to find a trade route to Chile in South America.
In an early episode of Burdekin Nostalgia, Glenis Cislowski told the story of Cecil (Basher) Oats. Basher was an identity in Home Hill for many years selling pies and pasties from his van.
As discussed in our nostalgia segment recently. This is a photo of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith and his plane "Southern Cross" in Ayr 1931.